Friday, September 18, 2009

Can We Do That Again?

Happy Friday!

This afternoon I saw something really weird. I had strolled down to the RTA to renew my licence (as had half of western Sydney). While awaiting the production of said licence, a lady past the first flush of youth and of distinctly Inland Proletariat culture (let the reader understand) was having her photo taken for her licence. This is usually a simple process: sit in the chair, watch the lens, count to three, and your likeness is enshrined on Official Documentation for the next few years. We all know these photos are never our best. In fact, most of us take perverse pleasure in demonstrating how bad they can be to friends and family. Anyway, this particular lady (egged on by her friends) was being a little bit picky regarding her photo. In fact she asked for at least five retakes before the RTA official put her foot down and wouldn't allow any more. I didn't know you could do that!!! I thought that once that photo was taken, that's it, no Ifs Buts or Maybes so long as it meets the official criteria.

I'm the first to admit that I don't make the best photographic subject in the world. I'd prefer most photos of me to be burnt/deleted as soon as they are taken. But sometimes photos have to be taken - weddings, birthdays, first days of school, enbalming parties, etc. You have to take this sort of thing on the chin, smile for the camera and move on. Like many things. You don't always get a second go.

I must admit feeling frustrated with this woman at the RTA. Why does she think that she deserves a better picture on HER licence than the rest of us have on ours? Is it vanity or selfishness? What if all of us wanted six goes to get it right?

But was it that I was more upset with myself for not vetting my own photo? We get so few chances to 'have another go' in life, do we begrudge others when they get a chance? Is that why it is hard to forgive a Christian brother or sister when they hurt us. Jesus says that if a brother come to us seven times in one day begging forgiveness we are to forgive them seven times (Lk 17:3-4). I usually need at least a day to cool off after an argument with someone, whether I am in the right or the wrong. But we are called to a life of Radical Forgiveness. How often do I fall short...

1 comment:

  1. Let me be the first to comment on this fabulous blog of yours Luke. You've got a great knack for storytelling brother and I'm so glad I can read your latest ones here! I can literally hear your voice in the sentences...

    ReplyDelete